Monday, May 7, 2012

Pre-Expedition Blog: May 7, 2012


May 7, 2012: I heard word today FedEx has the expedition boxes in. We got a message to come over to their office in Quito. "That went fast!" I could not help but think out loud. The shipment has arrived on time. "So timely" I think, "just like in the United States". 


I quickly gathered my camera team and their gear and we all pack onto a crowded bus – Nixon, Sumac and Matt too. Natalia is taking the lead. The bus is crowded and there is barely any room for us to get on. The bus doors close on us quickly, Matt is almost left behind as he chose the wrong time to be chivalrous, allowing a lady to get on the bus first. His camera’s Pelican case is surly tucked inside the bus, his body still not. He maneuvered his way in, all the while the doors close on him. Hopping on a jam packed bus, even for a short distance, is taking a big risk I find out quickly. Pocket pickers are all over. My eyes are on my crew and on the gear they carry. I must get us off the bus and quick.


We finally get off the bus and search for about an hour for the FedEx office building. Hiding in a corner, we find the office. Armed with cameras, ready to document the moments to follow, we all step in. "No camera recording por favor" states the gentleman behind the desk. My team is well trained for this situation. "No problemo Sir" I say and wink at Matt. One glance of Matt to the other camera guys and at once all cameras change position, arms are down, but the cameras keep rolling from waist level up. The FedEx employee is pleased. I know, you must obey orders here. 


"We came to pick up our expedition boxes" says Natalia in Spanish. We want to make sure we are getting nothing lost in translation. "Aha...boxes? Sorry, the boxes are not in Quito" said the FedEx clerk. "All boxes are held at Guayaquil, (8 hours driving distance South West of Quito). Your shipping document is not good" says the the guy. 


Why? What is going on? We can not figure it out! The man asks us for an inventory list with all items in each box. This is no problem, I handle it right away. I have with me the detailed list I made when packing the boxes back at home. FedEx says this is still not good! For every document they request, I provide them with and for every question they asked, I answered, yet still they demanded more. 


More of what? I can't tell you, no straight answer is being given to us as to why our boxes are being held in Guayaquil. Their story changes every five minutes. Maybe they want cash under the table? This is not my style...I can see now that I am not getting my boxes today. Maybe tomorrow? How much red tape is in this country? It seems we need professional help. Natalia will check for us tomorrow.


After an exhausting battle with FedEx we are out of luck and out of energy, my crew is hungry. A KFC / Pizza Hut center in middle of Quito seems very comforting suddenly. It did not take but a minute and everyone was hungrily scarfing down their chicken portions like there is no tomorrow. All sitting around the table, hovered over their food, they haven’t even had the courtesy to save me a seat. Well, let them pig on the food. They have a big eye opener coming to them when we start the expedition!


After dinner we head back to the apartment and we hook up our BGAN satellite unit to check the incoming SPS mail. Yes, messages from Amazon 5000 home base in Florida are in. 


We are now wrapping up the day here, storing away all the electronics. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.


Until then...


 - Mickey


Just a minute... Sumac is asking to leave the apartment saying she must go do some school work with a friend of hers who happened to be in Quito. It is about 21:00. I am not sure if she really has studies or if she is going off with friends, but she has agreed not to return late at night through Quito’s dangerous streets and stay overnight with her friend which is much safer. She will return back at 7:00 am tomorrow morning. 


Here it is. My first mistake! I agreed to let her go, at a crunch time, only days before our departure to the expedition. At this time I did not realize the consequences that would follow my decision. But that night she left, she went walking out the door with her typical cheery demeanor like any typical day, except this night was certainly not typical...  

No comments:

Post a Comment