Sunday, May 6, 2012

Pre- Expedition Blog: May 6, 2012


May 6, 2012: The time I spend in Quito goes by too slowly, especially over the weekend. Some administrative tasks are on my agenda before I leave for the wild. I came two weeks early so to assure all final preparations, coordination and logistics on the ground are in place. 


Arriving to Quito, I carried with me a few backpacks and duffle bags that contained some essential gear for the expedition for immediate use. The main gear for the expedition was sent from the States via FedEx and is scheduled to arrive to Quito tomorrow, on May 7th. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the gear so I can sort it and pack all the individual backpacks. Once this is done I can continue on to Pedernales, a laidback fisherman town on the Pacific shore that sits on the Equator line and is the initiation point of the Amazon 5000 Expedition.


Delfin left a few days ago to go back to his hometown Shell, to make final arrangements in hiring the expedition support team comprised of three Amazonian indigenous, one of which is my friend Bartolo who hosts Eco-planet Adventures in his Kichua community along the Curaray river. With Bartolo, will come Vidal - his brother and Pedro, a guy whom I have met before and that joined my recon mission last September. All three are physically strong and could be a great support to me in carrying my electronic communication gear. Valuable gear such as my industrially rugged laptop, the Bgan Satellite internet device, backup batteries (which are many), solar panels and other like items. 


Last year on my last visit to the Pavacachi community in the Amazon basin, I introduced my hosts to my Amazon 5000 program and asked them if any one of them will take the challenge in leaving behind their jungle community, wives and children to join me on a 5000 mile expedition that begins in Ecuador, their country and ends at the mouth of the Amazon River in Brazil. 


The excitement was high when I presented them with my maps. They have never left their community more then to Puyo – a gateway town to the Amazon jungle, 300 miles away, which they have visited not too often. To visit the Pacific shores of Ecuador and to travel to their neighboring countries in Peru, Colombia and Brazil all the way to the Atlantic Ocean was something far of reach, even in their imagination! To follow the mighty Amazon River was only a legendary tale told by father to son – not a reality. Here I come and get them out of their comfort zone, out of their quite and slow phase of life in the jungle, and offer take them on an extreme challenge adventure. It was something they had to consider. 


The head chief of the Pavacachi community, Luis, had to make the decision. I could tell he had a great itch to join me but he had a greater responsibility leading his community and assuring they are fed and taken care of. He passed on this adventurous opportunity dreams are made of, to Bartolo and Vidal, assuring them he will take charge of their families in their absence. He will fish and hunt food for their wives and children and will care for their needs. With that promise, these two are now making their final preparations and are heading out of the jungle to join Delfin. Together they will travel on an 8 hour bus ride to the big city Quito, where I am awaiting them.


This morning and afternoon I went over some logistics with the limited gear I have. I configured the Delorme inReach system, and went up the roof of my apartment building to test the Bgan Satellite communication device in the open sky. My videographer team was testing their camera gear practicing the new technology and assigning shooting roles for the days to come. Natalia came in, bringing fresh crusty bread from a nearby panaderia, eggs and coffee, and prepared a late delicious breakfast to us all. 


Very soon after, Matt "took care of his business". It was not long until we heard him yell out for help, as he just clogged the SECOND toilet in the apartment. WTF?! Is he the reason for all this madness, the big tall American using small people toilet bowls? Is his American bowels producing larger movements then an average Ecuadorian? Or is it that he runs much more often than the average Joe? No matter what, I know it is Matt to blame. We now have no toilet left. We called the plumber and asked him to rush his arrival and fix the damage from our overdo exit activities.


Testing my gear I watch from the corner of the room over my photographers; Matt - the white, blonde, handsome, American young man and Sumac - a super energetic, red skin, beautiful, indigenous girl of the Amazon region. They are giggling and hushing conversation. It seems language is not a barrier here. Love is in the air! I knew this stud I am taking with me will only cause problems... they seem to be enjoying the company of each other, perhaps too much. 






Shall I be worried this expedition will yield a baby at the end of it? Will Matt's parents Bonnie and Kevin, be delighted to have an Indian Amazonian, blonde, grandchild joining their family at the shores of the Atlantic Ocean? I am in trouble, I know that.                    

-Mickey

No comments:

Post a Comment