Saturday, January 5, 2013

Today I made 4000 Impossible miles into Possible!



January 5, 2013

Today I made 4000 Impossible miles into Possible! Throughout eight months of harsh environment and brutal terrain across the treacherous Andes Mountains and along the mighty Amazon River, I pushed myself to new limits every day. When my body crushed under the tropical disease, Dengue fever, I didn't stop and now have pushed myself OVER the limit... One more final push to go and I must take a pause.
I must pause to heal my body, gain energy, and bring myself to stand strong back on my feet to enable the accomplishment of my goals. 
At no moment along these tough months did I second guess my decision to go on this path. With every Amazonian mile I crossed and with each obstacle in my way, I became stronger. Each mile that I have passed charged my soul and boosted my energy. But my body, although young of 64 years, could not sustain a little mosquito of the tropics...
Unable to intake food due to the Dengue fever I lost 40 pounds in a short time. Weakness from the disease slows me down and threatens to impair my judgement. The final expedition stretch along the Amazon region in Brazil is infested with drug trafficking and automatic weaponry pointed at us at each curve of the mighty River. This holds a great danger to me and my team; not from nature, nor the elements, ONLY mankind! Such hostile environment requires my full vigilance! My responsibility as the expedition leader is greater than ever. Therefore, I must pause and seek proper medical evaluation and treatment before heading back on the trail. 

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction!"
...and I will continue!!!

Mickey Grosman
Amazon 5000 expedition leader   








No comments:

Post a Comment